Coffee and Walnut Loaf
- 125 g wholemeal self raising flour
- 125 g self raising flour
- 145 g Sultanas
- 60 g Walnut halves
- 2 tsp Camp coffee essence
- 2 tsp Instant coffee granules I used Azera Intenso
- 300 ml Water
- 1 medium egg
- Make up 300ml of coffee using granulated coffee.
- Put the sultanas in a jug and cover with the hot coffee. Leave to steep for at least 8 hours, ideally 24 so the fruit becomes really plump.
- When ready to bake preheat the oven to 160 C and measure out the flours into a large bowl. Line your loaf tin ready with greaseproof or a loaf liner.
- Crack the egg into the jug with the fruit and coffee, add the coffee essence and mix well.
- Chop the walnuts into small pieces (reserving a few for the top of the cake) and mix into the flour.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until incorporated and you have a fairly stiff batter. Add a little more water if too stiff to mix.
- Spoon into the loaf tin and decorate with the reserved walnut pieces.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until cooked through and golden brown.