This is actually a slimming world recipe. I hold my hands up and confess, that even though I’ve never done slimming world myself I did used to buy the magazines. I think the stories are truly inspirational and some of the recipes were rather good. My version has no added sugar or sweetener as I think the dried fruit provides enough. Scrummy on its own or great as an occasional treat with lashings of butter or lemon curd.
Fruity Tea Loaf
- 125 g wholemeal self raising flour
- 125 g self raising flour
- 175 g dried mixed fruit
- 1 teabag
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tsp ground ginger or mixed spice optional
- Make a pot of tea. Place the fruit in a jug and cover with hot tea, soak for 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Line a loaf tin with greaseproof or use a loaf liner.
- Mix the flours together along with the ground ginger or mixed spice if using.
- Crack the egg into the jug of fruit and tea and mix well.
- Add the wet to the dry and mix well.
- Spoon or pour the cake mixture into the lined loaf tin.
- Bake for 50 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack before storing in air tight container. Will keep for several days given half the chance.