This is slightly more indulgent than usual, we actually use sugar and fat but that’s OK, now and again. The marrow makes this sponge uber moist and delicious. WARNING – it’s very moreish 🙂
- 2 medium eggs
- 300 g marrow peeled and coarsley grated
- 150 g wholemeal self raising flour
- 150 g self raising flour
- 75 g hazelnuts chopped finely
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100 g vitalite dairy free spread (coconut)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g caster sugar
- Line a 2lb loaf tin with a liner. Preheat oven to 180C/gas 4
- In one bowl, mix together all the first lot of ingredients (the wet ones – eggs, butter, courgettes & vanilla, plus the sugar) and in another bigger bowl, mix together the second lot of ingredients (the dry ones – flour, nuts, cinnamon, baking powder).
- Gradually mix the wet mixture into the dry until it forms a wet dough. Pour into the greased loaf tin and place in the pre-heated oven for about an hour – until golden brown on top and cooked throughout (check with a cake tester).
- Allow to cool in the tin.