“The biggest liar in the world is the golfer who claims that he plays the game merely for exercise” – Tommy Bolt
I am a golfer and it’s so true, deep down we all want to be better golfers playing off the lowest handicap we can achieve.
The only real long term strategy is that of exercise, especially as we get older.
Is golf good exercise? Whilst playing golf is a great way to be active, it’s not enough. We need to preserve and improve muscles mass by performing resistance training and we need to perform cardiovascular exercise that increases the heart rate and burns calories.
When we are younger we’re naturally more flexible and able to create more power and speed. Unfortunately, with age the following happens and we:
- Lose distance, so the ball doesn’t go as far
- Lose flexibility, this affects the swing plane and our ability to rotate and turn
- Lose joint mobility, this affects our posture which in turn affects the swing
- Lose muscle mass which affects our strength and stamina, often the last 3 holes become more of a struggle to stay focused. After the age of 25 we lose about 1% of muscle mass per year!
- Notice that our metabolism slows down and we gain weight, this can affect the swing plane and it decreases stamina.
This golf workout programme goes through the best golf exercises and is good to do at any age, but it is especially beneficial for seniors.
Do not despair, help is at hand.
Sign up for my 4 week Golf Fit Plan and workout with me in the comfort of your own home.
Each week there is a new 30 or 40 minute workout video to follow. Ideally you will do the workout 2-3 times throughout the week to build strength and fitness.
Week 1 is bodyweight so no equipment required. In weeks 3-4 you can use water bottles if you don’t have dumbells or other weights.
Improve strength and flexibility of the muscles used during golf.
You can buy the plan for £19.99 here: GOLF FIT
Here’s what people are saying about the plan:
‘The exercises are easy to follow and very challenging, and I feel I’m making a real effort to stay as fit as I can’ Bruce F.
“I’ve just made it into Week 3 and am loving the programme …. I’ve always walked, golfed, and been a gentle jogger but have never done much about suppleness. The golf-fit is helping me to strrrreeeetch more and also helping with core muscles.” Len (Age 70+):