It’s that time of year again for me, December has passed and it’s time to recalibrate and take stock in dry January. I use the time to take a step back and really look at my relationship with alcohol. I do like a drink and on occasion I like several but I like to know that I’m able to stop, even if it’s just for a month. I didn’t make it to the end of last January, I had a drink on the 19th at a close family member’s funeral but I let myself off, there was always going to be another chance. In fact, it doesn’t have to be just January, last year I did Stoptober too.
If you’re also on this challenge – good luck.
It’s day 7 and so far, so good. I’m feeling good and I thought I’d share some of my favorite dry January tipples so far:
- Sparking water. Simply refreshing.
- Moringa Green Tea. A friend gave me some Moringa tea to try and it was a nice change from my usual green tea with lemon. Derived from the horseradish tree, it has been used for generations in Eastern countries to treat and prevent diseases including diabetes, arthritis, and digestive disorders. It’s said to fight free radicals and inflammation.
- Rock Shandy – my version is half ginger beer, half lemonade. A splash of lime cordial and a few drops of Angostura Bitters to make the lovely pink colour.
- Hot Chocolate – a Christmas present so it would be rude not to. Raw hot chocolate made using Ecuadorian Arriba Raw Cacao. It’s very nice but a word of warning, there is no nutritional information on the tin. The ingredients are 50% cacao, coconut blossom sugar and Madagascan Bourbon Vanilla. Probably not the healthiest option but OK for a treat.
- Blue tea – something a bit different! Blue chai flowers have the natural ability to change color from blue to pink when mixed with lemon/lime juice.