- 1 Kg chuck steak or braising steak
- 2 onions chopped
- 800 g mushrooms sliced
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 jars flame-roasted red peppers
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 4 tbsp bovril beef concentrate
- 3 tsp paprika
- Pre-heat oven to Gas mark 4 or 180C.
- Heat a frying pan and dry fry the beef in batched until browned. Transfer to a flameproof casserole dish.
- Wipe the pan and dry fry the onion for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms, fry for another 5 minutes. Add the paprika for the final minute.
- Transfer to the casserole dish along with the peppers, tomato puree, Bovril and 1 pint of boiling water. Stir and heat until simmering.
- Transfer the dish to the oven and cook for about 2 hours.
- Serve with rice & veg or pasta & veg.